Founded in 1934, The Ladies of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College is a non-profit organization that brings together women affiliated with the University and College, promoting the ideas of friendship, continued self-improvement, community involvement and social justice. It is administered solely by volunteers.
Each year, our activities reflect those of current interest within the University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College communities. Some annual events include our Opening Reception, welcoming new members and old friends; a Holiday Tea to honor new Life Members; and a Spring Reception, to celebrate the end of the academic year. In addition, we host numerous activities planned by different Interest Groups, and encourage service and volunteerism.
We come from many backgrounds, speak many languages and are in various stages of life, but we share a common mission – nurturing community through friendship. We feel that our logo captures a sense of our organization. By establishing roots in this community, our friendships flourish and we give back through our service.
To learn more about the first forty years of the Ladies from 1934 through 1974, click on the following two links: History Part 1 and History Part 2, researched and published by members Jo D’Alelio and Elaine Nicgorski in 1974.
The Ladies of Notre Dame Newsletter was first published in 1966. Its first editors were Lillian Fahey and Eva Eliel. Called The Distaff, it came out “more or less monthly,” as it was the sole method of communication available to its members with the exception of the telephone chain.
For the past 16 years, the newsletter, now called The Kaleidoscope, has been published four to five times a year. The September, November, January, March, and occasionally April editions, are available for viewing in the Newsletter Archive section.
LND/SMC members have a choice of receiving a printed copy of the newsletter (via USPS or Campus mail) or an digital copy via email.
Presently, approximately 170 members receive the electronic version.